Building on the work to date in patient safety in the NHS following the failings at Mid Staffordshire NHS Trust, East Riding of Yorkshire Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) has become the first CCG within the Yorkshire and Humber region to publicly pledge its support to the national ‘Sign up to Safety` campaign.
This new patient safety campaign was announced by the Secretary of State for Health in June 2014. The campaign aims to strengthen the focus on patient safety across the NHS.
The key underpinning factor of the campaign is to promote a culture that ensures staff and patients feel valued, respected and safe. The campaign is an ambitious approach to helping the NHS be even better for patients, carers and staff across all care settings and communities.
The CCGs 5 Sign up to Safety pledges are:
1. Put safety first. Commit to reduce avoidable harm in the NHS by half and make public our goals and plans developed locally.
2. Continually learn. Make our organisation more resilient to risks, by acting on the feedback from patients and by constantly measuring and monitoring how safe our services are.
3. Honesty. Be transparent with people about our progress to tackle patient safety issues and support staff to be candid with patients and their families if something goes wrong.
4. Collaborate. Take a leading role in supporting local collaborative learning, so that improvements are made across all of the local services that patients use.
5. Support. Help people understand why things go wrong and how to put them right. Give staff the time and support to improve and celebrate progress.
Jo Newsome, Head of Quality at the CCG said “In signing up to the campaign and making our pledges public we aim to listen to patients, carers and staff, learn from what they say when things go wrong and take action to improve patient safety in the local health services we commission, helping to ensure patients get harm free care every time, everywhere”.
To see the pledges in full and how the CCG aims to deliver them, then please visit: http://www.eastridingofyorkshireccg.nhs.uk/your-health/sign-up-to-safety/