Where to go over the Easter weekend if you're ill or injured

Easter is almost upon us, and whilst for many people this leads to a couple of extra days away from work to spend with their family and friends, it also means some health services can be closed. The East Riding of Yorkshire Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) is encouraging people to stock up on medication so that they are prepared if they fall unwell.

In the East Riding of Yorkshire most GP practices will be closed from Good Friday (30 March) and over the Easter weekend, reopening on Tuesday 3 April.

Dr Gina Palumbo, local GP and CCG Clinical Chair said,

“Many minor illnesses and injuries can often be treated at home using shop bought medicines, by keeping a well-stocked medicine cabinet and first aid kit you are prepared to look after yourself and your family. Most simple ailments will begin to get better within a couple of days.

“For people who are on repeat medication, I would strongly recommend they plan ahead and make sure they have enough medication to last whilst their GP practice is closed.

 “If you do need to see a GP over the bank holiday and your practice is closed, there is a GP out of hours service that can be accessed by calling NHS 111.”

“Pharmacists are able to offer quick, early advice to patients who feel under the weather and can now provide some medicines usually only available on prescription, saving a trip to the doctor.

“Local pharmacists are a highly trained and trusted source of health advice and can provide help to people who have a bad cough, a bit of a wheeze, a cold or sore throat.

The CCG is also advising people to use a Minor Injury Unit if appropriate, to help ease the pressure on Accident and Emergency services. All East Riding Minor Injury Units will open as normal during the Easter break. Patients do not need an appointment to attend but the CCG advise people ring NHS 111 first for advice.

Gina continues,

“Over the Easter weekend I would encourage anyone with a less serious injury that cannot be treated at home to consider visiting a Minor Injury Unit.

“These units can treat cuts, sprains and minor burns and can save people from waiting in busy Accident and Emergency departments. You don’t need an appointment to visit a Minor Injury Unit, but we do recommend that people call NHS 111 in advance, for advice.

Find out more information on Minor Injury Units, including locations, contact details and opening hours. 

<< Go back to the previous page