Improving access to Primary Care services in the East Riding of Yorkshire.
The Government set out a mandate to NHS England that CCG's must "provide extended access to GP services, including at evenings and weekends, for 100% of their population by 1st October 2018. This means ensuring access is available during peak times of demand and on bank holidays, including Easter, Christmas and New Year."
During January and February 2018 we ran a short survey as an opportunity for the public to tell us their views to help inform our discussions with GP practices and ensure the proposals fitted with the needs of our local residents. The survey was hosted online, with paper copies available in GP practices. It was also promoted though local media channels, posters, newsletters, social media. The results of the survey, which were used to inform the development of the new service, can be downloaded here.
Following a thorough procurement process which included involvement from a member of the public, we awarded the contract to Yorkshire Health Partners Limited (on behalf of the combined federation of local GP practices) from 1 October 2018.
The implementation of this service will be conducted via a phased approach;
Phase 1 - 1st October 2018 - 31st March 2020 - During which the service will offer an extra 30 minutes of appointments per 1000 patients. This means more than 600 additional appointments every week.
Phase 2 - 1st April 2020 - The service will offer an extra 45 minutes of appointments per 1000 patients. This means an additional 300 appointments on top of the extra 600 available during phase 1.
The service for improving access to primary care will provide:
- Additional appointments available between 18:30 - 20:00, Monday-Friday and 09:00-13:00, Saturday and Sunday.
- Appointments during these extended hours may be at locations other than your own registered practice, with a clinician you may have not seen previously - But you will be informed of this at the time of making the appointment.
- Appointments are pre-bookable, however some on the day appointments will be available.
- Appointments are for routine primary care, they are not out-of-hours, minor injuries or urgent care.
- The service will be open 365 days a year.
The East Yorkshire Federation of GP Federations are working with GP practices to ensure there is sufficient coverage within each locality of the East Riding. If you need an appointment, simply ring your GP practice as usual.
For more information about the service, please visit www.improvingaccess.org
To read our press release August 2018, click here.